Hundreds evacuated after flooding in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: At least 1,500 people have been shifted to safer places in Odisha after flood waters swamped their homes, a minister said on Tuesday.
Heavy torrential rains over past three days triggered floods in some areas of Nabrangpur and Kalahandi districts in the state.
"People were moved from low-lying areas of both the districts after flood waters entered their homes," state Revenue and Disaster Management Department Minister Surya Narayan Patro said.
At least 1,300 people of 11 villages in Kalahandi district and about 200 people of four villages in Chandahandi area of Nabrangpur district have been shifted to safer places. Free kitchens have been set up to provide them cooked food.
"I have asked local authorities to provide the victims relief for at least seven days or until the flood waters recede," Patro said.
"Although rain has almost stopped in the area, water was still flowing down from the nearby hills," he added.
The Hati River in the district of Kalahandi was flowing at least three feet above a bridge. The flooding has also forced closure of several roads in the region, he said.
Heavy rains forced authorities to shut the 600 MW Mukhiguda hydropower project in Kalahandi, Patro said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?