I-Day: Maoists unfurl black flags in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Independence Day fervour was marred by unfurling of black flags by Maoists in some Naxal-hit areas of Odisha while the day was celebrated with gaiety elsewhere amid tight security.
Though the day was celebrated amid patriotic fervour in most parts with Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik unfurling the Tricolour in the state capital, some remote areas in Maoist-affected districts like Malkangiri, Koraput and Gajapati saw hoisting of black flags by the ultras.
Despite tight security, Maoists hoisted black flags and put up posters and banners near several schools and panchayat offices in Kalimela, Khairput, Chitrakonda and Guma areas of Naxal-hit Malkangiri district where the ultras had asked people to refrain from celebrating the Republic Day.
Similarly, in Koraput district black flags and posters were seen in about half-a-dozen remote places of Narayanpatna and Bandhugaon areas with a call to boycott the celebrations and observe black day, sources said.
In his address at the main function on Mahatma Gandhi Road in Bhubaneswar, the chief minister announced launch of an scheme name "Mamata" for pregnant and lactating women and infants in urban areas.
The programme has already been in force since last year in rural areas of the state.
As part of efforts to spread education, bicycles would be provided free to all class ten students living below the poverty line along with the scheme already existing only for girl students, Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez