IAS officer killed in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: An IAS officer in Odisha was killed after being hit by a train at the railway station here with the police maintaining it was a case of suicide, but his family disputed it.
Gagan Bihari Swain, additional secretary in the Planning and Coordination department, allegedly jumped before the Puri-Howrah passenger train on Monday evening, Deputy Superintendent of Police (Railway), Sk Abdul Karim said today.
"Prima facie it appears to be a clear case of suicide. He jumped before the train when it was entering the platform, Karim said.
The driver of the train corroborated that Swain jumped before the train, he said.
Swain, a former collector of Sonepur district, was taken to the Capital Hospital where doctors declared him dead.
Swain`s family members including his wife, however disputed the suicide and said that though the officer appeared to be under tension for some time, he had a strong personality and would not have done so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price