Illegal marine fishing continues off Gahirmatha
Kendrapara: Unlawful marine fishing activities have been continuing in prohibited area off Gahirmatha in Kendrapara district despite crackdown and vigil maintained by forest officials, police and the coast guard.
In a series of mid-sea crackdowns, over 50 crew of a dozen deep-sea trawlers had been intercepted off Gahirmatha coast for unlawful fishing within the prohibited marine santuary since impositon of the ban on November one, sources said.
The fishing prohibition would remain in force till May 31 for the safe annual sojourn of Olive Ridley turtles.
Though intensified vigil has brought down the cases of trawler intrusion, marine fishermen from Balasore and Bhadrak districts were continuing their activities, they said.
"Besides, trawlers from neighbouring West Bengal have been illegally entering Gahirmatha largely because the crew are unaware of the prohibitory orders," said a forest official engaged in patrol duty.
As intruders mostly navigated on high-speed motorised trawlers, the less-improvised patrol vessels were no match to intercept them. That was why they were getting away without being caught, the official said.
At present the operation to stop unlawful fishing to ensure the safety of Olive Ridley turtles is being jointly conducted by coast guard, police and officials of the forest and fisheries department after the marine animals began their annual breeding season earlier this month.
The state government has clamped a ban along the 20-km stretch of Gahirmatha marine sanctuary from November 1 in view of the mass nesting of endangered Olive Ridley marine turtles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks