IMD predicts another low pressure off Tamil Nadu coast
Bhubaneswar: With IMD predicting formation of a low pressure off Tamil Nadu coast which could move towards Odisha, the state government today asked the District Collectors to immediately provide polythene sheets to the homeless people along with relief materials even as flood water receded in many places of the worst affected Balasore district, official sources said.
"Basing on the IMD forecast, we have asked the Collectors of the coastal districts to provide polythene sheets as the low pressure could trigger rain in the region," said Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) P K Mohapatra.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today made an aerial survey of Balasore and Jajpur district.
The SRC office claimed that about 80,000 households have been given temporarily shelter material (Polythene sheets) today itself.
"Steps are being taken to procure more polythene sheets," they said.
With normalcy limping back, affected persons are being persuaded to return to their homes with relief materials, they said adding that some people in flood hit Balasore and Mayurbhanj were still in the relief camps.
Asked about the state government`s memorandum seeking Central assistance for the twin calamities of cyclone and flood, Mohapatra said, "Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami will visit the cyclone and flood hit areas tomorrow. He will also meet state government officials later in the evening. We may hand over the memorandum to him."
Meanwhile, the relief and rescue operation was on full swing across the affected areas and the government was optimistic to complete distribution of relief materials by October 22.
Meanwhile, the state government update status report said that the twin calamities affected 1.32 crore people spread over 17 districts.
Though the figure on human casualty remained unchanged with 44 deaths, the status report said 7.71 lakh hectare of cultivation had been lost in the cyclone Phailin and resultant floods. The number of houses damaged has also increased to 4,19619 from 1,19,052 houses yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Differences alone cannot define Sino-India ties: Chinese media
- Tata Hexa, Safari Storme to get 1.9-litre diesel in 2017
- MFs asset base from B15 cities up 19% to Rs 2 lakh crore
- Those killed in Kashmir hadn't gone to buy milk and toffee, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Renault Kwid AMT ready in 800cc and 1.0-litre guise