Implement universal public distribution system: CPM
Berhampur (Orissa): CPI(M) has demanded
implementation of universal public distribution system (UPDS)
instead of targeted PDS being practised in the country now.
Targeted PDS covers a limited section of society
whereas a large number of poor are deprived of the PDS
benefits, CP(I)M Lok Sabha member Basudev Acharya said here.
Underscoring the need for revamping the present system
of PDS, the senior CP(I)M leader said the number of essential
items like pulses, sugar and edible oil should be increased.
"The UPDS will not only solve the price-rise of
essential commodities, but will also ensure food security to
the millions of poor people of the country," Acharya said in
the inaugural conference of the Bharatiya Khadya Nigam
Karmachari Sangha (East Zone) yesterday.
The Left parties were opposed to the proposed law
aimed at securing National Food Security in its present form
which only targeted a limited number of families.
Food security could not be guaranteed to all the
families of the country, as it targeted only a section of the
families in the country, Acharya said adding the government
would bear only about Rs 52,000 crore food subsidy annually if
UPDS is implemented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog