Incessant rains hamper anti-Maoist operations in Odisha
Koraput: Incessant rains have hit anti-Maoist operations in Koraput, Rayagada and Malkangiri districts of Odisha, with security personnel finding it difficult to move in the forests with overflowing rivers, inundated tracks and thick undergrowth.
Inspector General of Police (south-Western range), Y K Jethwa said, "Our regular anti-Maoist operations have been hit. We are now relying on only intelligence inputs."
Though operations were affected due to the rain, the IGP said security forces were on high alert in view of the `Martyrs Week` slated to be observed by Maoists from July 28 to August 3.
"At present, the situation is under control but we can`t be complacent. Extra vigil is being kept in bordering area to prevent possible influx of Maoists from Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh to Odisha for the Martyrs Week," the IG said.
"The Maoist affected areas of Narayanpatna in Koraput, Kalimela in Malkangiri and Chandrapur and Gudari in Rayagada districts are under thick security blanket," he said.
He also said the arrest of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda will not have any impact on their operations.
"Maoists from Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh dominate these districts. Sabyasachi had some influence in certain parts of Rayagada district, but in past few years his dominance had become negligible," he said.
"Our operations are more focused on restricting movement of Maoist leaders and stopping them from entering Odisha," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics