Incessant rains hamper anti-Maoist operations in Odisha
Koraput: Incessant rains have hit anti-Maoist operations in Koraput, Rayagada and Malkangiri districts of Odisha, with security personnel finding it difficult to move in the forests with overflowing rivers, inundated tracks and thick undergrowth.
Inspector General of Police (south-Western range), Y K Jethwa said, "Our regular anti-Maoist operations have been hit. We are now relying on only intelligence inputs."
Though operations were affected due to the rain, the IGP said security forces were on high alert in view of the `Martyrs Week` slated to be observed by Maoists from July 28 to August 3.
"At present, the situation is under control but we can`t be complacent. Extra vigil is being kept in bordering area to prevent possible influx of Maoists from Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh to Odisha for the Martyrs Week," the IG said.
"The Maoist affected areas of Narayanpatna in Koraput, Kalimela in Malkangiri and Chandrapur and Gudari in Rayagada districts are under thick security blanket," he said.
He also said the arrest of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda will not have any impact on their operations.
"Maoists from Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh dominate these districts. Sabyasachi had some influence in certain parts of Rayagada district, but in past few years his dominance had become negligible," he said.
"Our operations are more focused on restricting movement of Maoist leaders and stopping them from entering Odisha," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone