India again test-fires Akash missile
Bhubaneswar: India Wednesday successfully test-fired its Akash medium-range surface-to-air missile from a defence base in Odisha, for the third time in less than a week, officials said.
The indigenously-developed missile, with a 27-km range and an effective ceiling of 15 km, was test-fired from the Integrated Test Range of Chandipur in the coastal district of Balasore, 230 km from Bhubaneswar.
All three tests were conducted for the army by scientists of state-run missile system manufacturer Bharat Dynamic Limited, and defence electronics company Bharat Electronics.
"The test was successful," test range director M.V.K.V. Prasad told IANS.
Akash was earlier successfully tested from the same defence base Feb 21 and 24.
The 700-kg all-weather missile can carry a 60-kg warhead at speeds of up to Mach 2.5. It can operate autonomously and simultaneously engage and neutralise different aerial targets.
The missile can be launched from static or mobile platforms, enabling flexible deployment by the armed forces.
Some more tests of the missile is likely to be conducted from the same base in March and April, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical