Indian, Afghan students clash at NIT, Rourkela; 5 injured
Rourkela: At least five students, including three from Afghanistan, were injured in a clash between students at National Institute of Technology (NIT), Rourkela during the annual cultural extravaganza, police said.
Though the cause of the incident was not exactly ascertained so far, sources said Afghan students, allegedly in an inebriated state, had hurled highly objectionable words at Indian students leading to a clash between two groups.
"The situation is normal now. The Afghanistan students are being provided security by the police as they are minority," Director of NIT, Rourkela, Sunil Sadangi, who intervened and separated the groups, said.
"We are inquiring into the whole incident as to why the clash took place. I cannot tell you much about it. When I reached the spot last evening and felt palpable tension, my first concern was to provide security to the Afghan students," he said.
There are 23 Afghan students at NIT, Rourkela against the strength of 4,500 Indians. Only 10 foreign students had picked up the fight, Sadangi said, adding all of them were taken to a room to ensure their safety.
All the five injured students, including one seriously injured Indian student, were given treatment at the Ispat General Hospital (IGH).
"We are alert over the incident after getting information from the NIT director. Local police is providing security to the foreign students," said sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) S Sethi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy