Indian sand artist wins Gold medal in Russia
Moscow: Acclaimed Indian artist Sudarsan Pattnaik Thursday won the gold medal at an International sand art competition in St Petersburg for his 7-feet high sculpture of Ganesh sitting on Kailash Mountain with Lord Siva and Parvati.
Pattnaik was the sole representative of India at the 12th International Sand art competition 2013 which was held from July 10 to 18.
The theme of the competition in St Petersburg was "International Fairy Tales".
Pattnaik created a 7-feet high sand sculpture of Ganesh sitting on Kailash Mountain with Lord Siva and Parvati.
"We always listen Lord Ganesh`s stories from our grandmother in childhood. So I decided to create a sand sculpture on Lord Ganesh`s story", Sudarsan said.
"I was very happy when they announced that India got gold medal. I always try to give some message through my art and for that I got this prize for my country", he said.
Consul General of India Vishvas Sapkal was present on the occasion. After Sudarsan got the top award, Sapkal congratulated him.
Italy got the silver medal and the US got the bronze medal in the competition.
Twenty sculptors from around the World represented their respective countries in the competition. They included sand artists from the US, Canada, Holland, Belgium, Bulgaria, Italy, Austria and Russia.
Pattnaik has participated in more than 54 international sand sculpture championships across the globe and has won many prizes for his country.
This year he has won Danish grand prize at Copenhagen Moscow choice prize.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!