Inmate`s death prompts forming of squad to visit orphanages
Berhampur: Death of an inmate of an orphanage prompted the Ganjam district administration to form a multi-disciplinary squad to inspect the places and examine problems including hygiene conditions in these homes.
The squad comprising officials from social welfare, health, revenue and other departments, will visit different orphan homes every month and try to sort out their problems, the Additional District Magistrate Nirmal Mishra said.
There are 11 registered orphanage homes in the district, with the administration passing direction for enrolment of unregistered ones as soon as possible threatening stringent action otherwise.
The decision was taken in the wake of recent death of an inmate at `Utkal Balashram` as several others were afflicted with typhoid at the orphanage for girls located here.
The ADMO said seven of the inmates were now undergoing treatment at MKCG Medical College and Hospital here with all tested positive for typhoid, he said.
The patients are in good condition and their medical expenditure would be met from Odisha state treatment fund, he said.
A medial team headed by the Additional District Medical Officer (ADMO) will visit the home to look after the health of the inmates. In order to avoid contamination of water, filters would be provided from district Red Cross, sources said.
Presently there were 64 inmates in UtkalBalashram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...