Inspector suspended for police firing in Odisha
Berhampur: A day after two persons
were killed in police firing in Ganjam district, the inspector
in-charge of Kodala police station was suspended Sunday.
Soubhagya Kumar Swain was placed under suspension with
immediate effect in connection with the death of two persons
in police firing at Phasipada yesterday, DIG (Southern Range)
RK Sharma said.
"The situation is normal and there is no untoward
incident," he said.
More than 150 police personnel were deployed in the
village to maintain law and order.
Besides the death of two persons, 53 people including 36
policemen were injured in the clash between police and a mob.
The mob attacked the policemen when they were returning
after rescuing three persons detained by villagers on the
charge of practicing witchcraft.
The government has ordered a judiciary inquiry into the
incident and announced Rs two lakh to each family of the
deceased as ex-gratia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal