Inspector suspended for police firing in Odisha
Berhampur: A day after two persons
were killed in police firing in Ganjam district, the inspector
in-charge of Kodala police station was suspended Sunday.
Soubhagya Kumar Swain was placed under suspension with
immediate effect in connection with the death of two persons
in police firing at Phasipada yesterday, DIG (Southern Range)
RK Sharma said.
"The situation is normal and there is no untoward
incident," he said.
More than 150 police personnel were deployed in the
village to maintain law and order.
Besides the death of two persons, 53 people including 36
policemen were injured in the clash between police and a mob.
The mob attacked the policemen when they were returning
after rescuing three persons detained by villagers on the
charge of practicing witchcraft.
The government has ordered a judiciary inquiry into the
incident and announced Rs two lakh to each family of the
deceased as ex-gratia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government
- Coalition warplanes pummel Islamic State in Syria bastion
- Pakistanis hit back as clerics say men can 'beat' wives
- BJP to fight UP polls on development plank, not Ram temple issue: Rajnath Singh