Jail warder held for supply of liquor to inmates
Berhampur: The nexus between prisoners and jail employees for supply of liquor and other narcotic substances came to the fore in Odisha`s Ganjam district after the authorities suspended a warder on charge of supplying liquor.
"After being caught red handed by the jail staff while taking liquor inside the prison, Bibhuti Bhusan Das, a warder in the sub-jail at Kodala has been put under suspension," DIG (Prisons), Berhampur, G B Mallick said on Sunday.
Acting on a tip-off, a team of jail staff caught Das with two bottles of liquor when he was taking them in a bag into the prison on Friday night, Superintendent of Kodala sub-jail Siba Shankar Das said.
A three member team which was constituted earlier caught him while he was on duty in the jail at the time of raid. The bag containing the liquor bottles were in his bicycle and coming to the jail to attend duty.
There are over 200 prisoners in Kodala sub-jail including some hard-core criminals.
The prison was in the news for jail break and attack on jail staff by the prisoners. Das was seriously injured in May last year, after being allegedly attacked by one of the inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez