Jail warder held for supply of liquor to inmates
Berhampur: The nexus between prisoners and jail employees for supply of liquor and other narcotic substances came to the fore in Odisha`s Ganjam district after the authorities suspended a warder on charge of supplying liquor.
"After being caught red handed by the jail staff while taking liquor inside the prison, Bibhuti Bhusan Das, a warder in the sub-jail at Kodala has been put under suspension," DIG (Prisons), Berhampur, G B Mallick said on Sunday.
Acting on a tip-off, a team of jail staff caught Das with two bottles of liquor when he was taking them in a bag into the prison on Friday night, Superintendent of Kodala sub-jail Siba Shankar Das said.
A three member team which was constituted earlier caught him while he was on duty in the jail at the time of raid. The bag containing the liquor bottles were in his bicycle and coming to the jail to attend duty.
There are over 200 prisoners in Kodala sub-jail including some hard-core criminals.
The prison was in the news for jail break and attack on jail staff by the prisoners. Das was seriously injured in May last year, after being allegedly attacked by one of the inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands