Jail warder held for supply of liquor to inmates
Berhampur: The nexus between prisoners and jail employees for supply of liquor and other narcotic substances came to the fore in Odisha`s Ganjam district after the authorities suspended a warder on charge of supplying liquor.
"After being caught red handed by the jail staff while taking liquor inside the prison, Bibhuti Bhusan Das, a warder in the sub-jail at Kodala has been put under suspension," DIG (Prisons), Berhampur, G B Mallick said on Sunday.
Acting on a tip-off, a team of jail staff caught Das with two bottles of liquor when he was taking them in a bag into the prison on Friday night, Superintendent of Kodala sub-jail Siba Shankar Das said.
A three member team which was constituted earlier caught him while he was on duty in the jail at the time of raid. The bag containing the liquor bottles were in his bicycle and coming to the jail to attend duty.
There are over 200 prisoners in Kodala sub-jail including some hard-core criminals.
The prison was in the news for jail break and attack on jail staff by the prisoners. Das was seriously injured in May last year, after being allegedly attacked by one of the inmates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times