Jairam asks Odisha to clear backlog payments under MGNREGA
Bhubaneswar: Expressing concern over reported delay in payment of wages to the workers under MGNREGA, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh has asked Odisha government to clear the backlog immediately.
"I would request the state government to give this utmost priority and disburse all delayed payments to beneficiaries immediately. Compensations as applicable may also be paid," Union Minister of Rural Development Jairam Ramesh said in a recent letter to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
"This is a grave violation of the basic entitlements of these workers as the MGNREGA stipulates that wage payments be made within 15 days," Ramesh said in the letter released to the press here.
The Union minister said as per the Management Information System (MIS) of his ministry, wages amounting to Rs 216 crore, which is 41 per cent of the total wage payment, had been delayed by over 15 days by the state government while Rs 29 crore out of the total wage payments was delayed by over 60 days.
He said that his ministry had brought an amendment to Schedule II of MGNREGA to ensure timely wage payment and adequate compensation in case of delays.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister