Jawan injured in gunbattle with Maoists in Malkangiri
Malkangiri (Odisha): A jawan was seriously injured in a gun-battle between security forces and Maoists in a forest area in Odisha`s Malkangiri district early today.
The encounter took place in Parsanpalli forest located in Padia area when a team of District Voluntary Force (DVF) launched an operation following information about presence of Maoists in the jungle, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
As the DVF team moved closer to the Naxal hide-out, the ultras fired injuring jawan Gopal Mandal (28), he said.
Personnel of BSF and Special Operation Group (SOG) soon joined the DVF team and outnumbered by the security forces, the red rebels fled the area, the SP said.
The injured jawan was admitted to hospital where his condition was stated to be critical, police said.
A combing operation has been launched inside the forest by the security forces after the Maoists fled the area, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Roy Hodgson didn't expect England exit so early in the tournament
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video
- UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to resign after losing confidence vote
- Serena Williams, Andy Murray cruise at rain-lashed Wimbledon