Jawan injured in gunbattle with Maoists in Malkangiri
Malkangiri (Odisha): A jawan was seriously injured in a gun-battle between security forces and Maoists in a forest area in Odisha`s Malkangiri district early today.
The encounter took place in Parsanpalli forest located in Padia area when a team of District Voluntary Force (DVF) launched an operation following information about presence of Maoists in the jungle, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
As the DVF team moved closer to the Naxal hide-out, the ultras fired injuring jawan Gopal Mandal (28), he said.
Personnel of BSF and Special Operation Group (SOG) soon joined the DVF team and outnumbered by the security forces, the red rebels fled the area, the SP said.
The injured jawan was admitted to hospital where his condition was stated to be critical, police said.
A combing operation has been launched inside the forest by the security forces after the Maoists fled the area, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog