Jawan killed in Maoist encounter in Odisha
Keonjhar (Odisha): A jawan was killed during an exchange of fire on Tuesday between security forces and Maoists in a forest in Odisha`s Keonjhar district, the police said.
Ajay Kumar Sahu (28) of District Voluntary Force (DVF) and a resident of Thakurpatna near here died during an exchange of fire with Maoists in Birikala forest on the border of Keonjhar and Angul districts, they said.
The security forces were carrying out a combing operation inside the forest when the encounter took place.
Sahu had joined the force in 2006 and had undergone training in Odisha`s elite anti-naxal force - Special Operation Group (SOG), police said.
The jawan was accorded a guard of honour in the presence of senior police officers including DIG of police (western range), Yashwant Jethwa, after his body arrived here.
Sahu`s family would be given Rs eight lakh as ex-gratia, Rs ten lakh insurance amount and special pension equivalent to full salary, Jethwa said adding one member of the family would be given a job.
Tension had prevailed in the town for sometime as no clear information was immediately available about the exact cause of the Jawan`s death and the circumstances that led to the incident.
The situation was, however, brought under control soon, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31