Jawan killed in Maoist encounter in Odisha
Keonjhar (Odisha): A jawan was killed during an exchange of fire on Tuesday between security forces and Maoists in a forest in Odisha`s Keonjhar district, the police said.
Ajay Kumar Sahu (28) of District Voluntary Force (DVF) and a resident of Thakurpatna near here died during an exchange of fire with Maoists in Birikala forest on the border of Keonjhar and Angul districts, they said.
The security forces were carrying out a combing operation inside the forest when the encounter took place.
Sahu had joined the force in 2006 and had undergone training in Odisha`s elite anti-naxal force - Special Operation Group (SOG), police said.
The jawan was accorded a guard of honour in the presence of senior police officers including DIG of police (western range), Yashwant Jethwa, after his body arrived here.
Sahu`s family would be given Rs eight lakh as ex-gratia, Rs ten lakh insurance amount and special pension equivalent to full salary, Jethwa said adding one member of the family would be given a job.
Tension had prevailed in the town for sometime as no clear information was immediately available about the exact cause of the Jawan`s death and the circumstances that led to the incident.
The situation was, however, brought under control soon, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt