Jawan killed in Maoist encounter in Odisha
Keonjhar (Odisha): A jawan was killed during an exchange of fire on Tuesday between security forces and Maoists in a forest in Odisha`s Keonjhar district, the police said.
Ajay Kumar Sahu (28) of District Voluntary Force (DVF) and a resident of Thakurpatna near here died during an exchange of fire with Maoists in Birikala forest on the border of Keonjhar and Angul districts, they said.
The security forces were carrying out a combing operation inside the forest when the encounter took place.
Sahu had joined the force in 2006 and had undergone training in Odisha`s elite anti-naxal force - Special Operation Group (SOG), police said.
The jawan was accorded a guard of honour in the presence of senior police officers including DIG of police (western range), Yashwant Jethwa, after his body arrived here.
Sahu`s family would be given Rs eight lakh as ex-gratia, Rs ten lakh insurance amount and special pension equivalent to full salary, Jethwa said adding one member of the family would be given a job.
Tension had prevailed in the town for sometime as no clear information was immediately available about the exact cause of the Jawan`s death and the circumstances that led to the incident.
The situation was, however, brought under control soon, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP