JB Patnaik asks people of Orissa to think of future
Rourkela: Assam Governor J B Patnaik on Friday
asked the people, specially technocrats, to read the glorious
history of Orissa and think of the state`s future development
to bring prosperity.
"We have a rich heritage, rich state known as Kalinga,
from Ganga to Godavari, with glorious maritime history but we
are poor today," Patnaik said at a function at the National
Institute of Technology-Rourkela here on the occasion of
"People of Kalinga used to go to Java and Sumatra for
trade and in many countries like Malaysia and Phillipines,
people were impressed by Kalinga culture," he said.
"It is time to realise the past and move forward to
remove poverty and hunger from Orissa and make it number one
progressive state," the former Orissa chief minister said.
He said drought and flood were the main reasons of the
underdevelopment in Orissa and underlined the need for
effective irrigation system.
He said state boundary whether it is big or small
does not matter, even small states like Punjab and Hariyana
are considered as most developed states because of proper
utilisation of resources and irrigation.
While Punjab registered 97.5 per cent land irrigated,
Haryana 86.4 per cent but Orissa remains 36 per cent, he said
adding all efforts should be made for proper utilisation of
rivers and water bodies.
Giving importance on small scale industries, Patnaik
said a big steel plant will not make the area develop saying
that Rourkela, Bhilai, Durgapur steel plants have not made the
area fully developed and importance should be given for small
and medium scale industries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof