Jena credits FM with giving Oriya language its due
New Delhi: Paying rich tributes to Fakir
Mohan Senapati, whom many credit with creating a distinct
identity for Oriyas, Minister of State for Statistics and
Programme Implementation Srikant Jena today said it was due to
Senapati that the Oriya language got its due.
"If I am a proud Indian, I am also a proud Oriya. And I
am a proud Oriya because of Faqir Mohan Senapati," Jena said
at a function here to mark the launch of the Fakir Mohan
"He not only proved that Oriya is a language but a rich
language. Oriya language is the only language in India which
is gender neutral. Any other language which you speak is
gender centric," Jena said.
He also recounted the way Senapati started his printing
press in Balasore, bringing the necessary equipment with great
difficulty from Midnapore and susequently from Kolkata in a
bullock cart and launching the first magazine in Oriya.
Describing him as a very able administrator, Jena said
Senapati had played a key role in the creation of Orissa.
"He was a versatile personality and every Oriya is proud
of Fakir Mohan Senapati," Jena added.
Fakirmohan Senapati is regarded as the father of Oriya
nationalism and the modern Oriya literature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued