Judicial probe into Odisha hooch tragedy begins

Last Updated: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:23

Cuttack: Judicial probe into the recent hooch tragedy that struck several villages in Cuttack and Khurda districts of Odisha has started even as the death toll
in it mounted to 35, official sources said on Sunday.

The toll increased when Kailash Chandra Bhoi(40) of Cuttack Sadar, who under treatment at SCB Medical College and Hospital, died in the early hours of Saturday, its emergency officer BN Maharana said.
The judicial probe, ordered by the state government,
began during the day with Justice AS Naidu, a former judge of
Orissa High Court who is also heading the one-man judicial
commission into the Rourkela police-judicial officer scuffle,
visiting SCB Hospital and holding discussions with the
superintendent and doctors attending the liquor tragedy
victims.

Documents relating to the treatment and post mortem
reports of the deceased were perused. Soon there will be
notifications for inviting affidavits in the matter,? Naidu
said.

Cuttack collector Girish SN and city DCP S Praveen
Kumar were also present during Naidu’s visit to the hospital,
which has released over 80 people admitted with symptoms of
sickness after drinking the spurious liquor earlier this
month.

PTI




comments powered by Disqus