Judicial probe ordered into rape of dalit girl
Bhubaneswar: Bowing to public outcry over
alleged rape of a dalit girl in Pipili, Odisha government
today ordered a judicial probe into the incident.
"Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has ordered a judicial
probe into the alleged rape and harassment of a dalit girl in
Pipili area of Puri district," Chief secretary BK Patnaik
told reporters here.
Justice PK Mohanty, a retired judge of Orissa High
Court will head the commission, he said adding the judicial
commission would submit its report within three months.
The decision to conduct a judicial probe into the
rape of the 19 year-old was taken after home department
secretary UN Behera submitted a report on the incident.
Earlier in the day, the government had suspended the
Pipili police station in-charge Anil Champatiray after it was
found that the officer concerned did not register a case a day
after the alleged rape which took place on November 28, 2011.
The police registered the case only on January 9, 2012
after the Orissa High Court and State Human Rights Commission
(SHRC) intervened in the matter.
The HC had on Wednesday directed the state crime
branch police to arrest all the four accused named in the
FIR, investigate the matter and submit a status report of the
case to it on January 16, besides ordering the government to
provide her free treatment and protection.
Champatiray was two days ago transferred from Pipili
police station to Puri police reserve, an action which was
criticised by women`s organisations as taking a `soft
attitude` against the erring police officer.
Odisha Agriculture Minister Pradip Maharathy, who
represents Pipli, had also come under attack over the incident
with the girl`s family and women bodies accusing him of
shielding the culprits.
Opposition parties Congress and BJP, women
organisations, dalit and tribal bodies had demanded setting up
of a judicial commission to probe the alleged rape as the girl
in coma struggles for survival at the ICU of SCB Medical
College Hospital in Cuttack.
Earlier, the government had handed over the
investigation in the case to Criminal Investigation Department
(CID)of the crime branch. The CID team started its probe into
the incident two days ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!