Justice Naidu begins hearing on Kandhamal riot
Phulbani (Odisha): Justice A S Naidu Commission, probing the killing of VHP leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and the large scale ethno-communal riot in Kandhmal in 2008, on Thursday began its hearing at the district headquarters town here.
Justice Naidu was appointed as the head of the one man Kandhamal commission last year after demise of Justice Sarat Chandra Mohapatra, who was probing the riot since 2008. The state government had set up the inquiry commission to probe different angles into the killing of Saraswati and subsequent ethno-communal violence.
On the first day of hearing, the commission recorded statements of three persons and is scheduled to meet another batch of five people tomorrow. The persons who deposed before the commission were: Biswajeet Senapaty of Phiringia, Ramita Pradhan of Mandasore and Dasarathi Behera former MLA of Phulbani.
Before beginning the hearing, Justice Naidu visited Jalespeta ashram where Saraswati along with his four disciples were gunned down on the night of August 23, 2008 during Janmsthami celebrations. He met the ashram inmates and local people.
The commission also visited the riot hit Kurtamgarh and nearby devastated church and some reconstructed houses damaged in the riot.
Justice Naidu also visited Raikia and G.Udayagiri area, affected by violence, besides verifying documents of certain riot injured persons at the local community health centre (CHC).
He also visited Nandagiri, a riot rehabilitated colony on the outskirts of G.Udagiri town.
Replying to a question, Justice Naidu said that he would require at least one year for submitting final report on the riot.
The commission has already received 712 affidavits and about 170 case evidences have been recorded. Though Justice Mohapatra had toured Kandhamal earlier, this was the first visit of Justice Naidu, said Bijay Krishna Patnaik, the government pleader attached to the commission.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate