Justice Naidu to be new head of Kandhamal Commission
Bhubaneswar: Odisha government has named Justice A S Naidu, a retired High Court Judge, the new head of the judicial commission probing the killing of VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati and communal violence in Kandhamal thereafter, official sources said Wednesday.
The functioning of the judicial commission had come to standstill since four months due to the death of Justice Sarat Chandra Mohapatra, who had headed the panel.
The home department had already decided to install Justice Naidu to carry forward the probe and a formal official notification in this regard is expected to be issued soon, sources said.
Saraswati was killed on August 23, 2008 in Kandhamal along with four of his disciples. The entire district witnessed large scale communal violence in which 38 people were killed besides burning of over 4,000 houses.
The state government had set up a judicial commission headed by Justice Mohapatra to probe the matter from September 17, 2008. The commission has so far received nearly 700 affidavits.
Sixty-five government and 99 private witnesses have so far been examined by the commission. The examination of three witnesses were halfway through when justice Mohapatra passed away on May 12.
The crime branch is investigating the matter and arrested 10 persons and submitted chargesheets against 14 persons in connection with the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India