Kandhamal bandh affects life
Phulhani (Odisha): Normal life was
affected during a 12-hour bandh called by Kui Samaj Samnwaya
Samittee (KSSS) in Kandhamal district today to press for its
demands including action against people enjoying tribal
benefits with the help of fake certificates.
Shops, business establishments, educational
institutions and banks remained closed while vehicular traffic
remained off the road in Phulbani, Baliguda, Raikia, Kotagada,
Tumudibandh and G Udayagiri areas, official sources said.
However, places under Maoist infested Daringibadi
block evoked mixed response to the bandh, apparently under
threat from red rebels who put up posters asking the people
not to observe the bandh.
Posters put up at Sarangagada and Daringbadi said:
"Those who oppose celebration of Christian festival
(Christmas) will be awarded death penalty".
The KSSS which had called a four-day district bandh
from December 24 later decided to observe only a day-long
Meanwhile, secretary of G Udayagiri unit of KSSS
Pradip Mallik said unless their demands were fulfilled, they would
again observe bandh on January 25 and 26.
Though the bandh was largely peaceful, one person of
Madinata village under Baliguda police station filed a police
complaint that his thatched house had been set ablaze by
unknown attackers while his family was at the church.
The police, however, said after inquiry that it
appeared to be a case of accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day