Kandhamal bandh affects life
Phulhani (Odisha): Normal life was
affected during a 12-hour bandh called by Kui Samaj Samnwaya
Samittee (KSSS) in Kandhamal district today to press for its
demands including action against people enjoying tribal
benefits with the help of fake certificates.
Shops, business establishments, educational
institutions and banks remained closed while vehicular traffic
remained off the road in Phulbani, Baliguda, Raikia, Kotagada,
Tumudibandh and G Udayagiri areas, official sources said.
However, places under Maoist infested Daringibadi
block evoked mixed response to the bandh, apparently under
threat from red rebels who put up posters asking the people
not to observe the bandh.
Posters put up at Sarangagada and Daringbadi said:
"Those who oppose celebration of Christian festival
(Christmas) will be awarded death penalty".
The KSSS which had called a four-day district bandh
from December 24 later decided to observe only a day-long
Meanwhile, secretary of G Udayagiri unit of KSSS
Pradip Mallik said unless their demands were fulfilled, they would
again observe bandh on January 25 and 26.
Though the bandh was largely peaceful, one person of
Madinata village under Baliguda police station filed a police
complaint that his thatched house had been set ablaze by
unknown attackers while his family was at the church.
The police, however, said after inquiry that it
appeared to be a case of accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened