Kandhamal commission likely to submit interim report in mid-2014
Phulbani: The Justice Naidu Commission now probing the 2008 Kandhamal riots was likely to submit its interim report to the Odisha government during mid-2014.
The Justice A S Naidu commission which commenced its four-day inquiry here today exuded confidence that they would be able to finalise the interim report some time between June/July 2014.
Justice Naidu, however, said though the commission was getting cooperation from all quarters, the deponents were not willing to attend hearing of the commission despite issuance of repeated notices.
The judicial commission of inquiry into the 2008 riots where at least 38 people were killed and several houses gutted, was set up in January 2009 under the chairmanship of Justice SC Mohapatra in the wake of killing of senior VHP leader Swami Laxmananda Saraswati.
The VHP leader along with four other associates were gunned down, at his Jalaspeta ashram under Tumudibandh police station on the night of `Janmastami` on August 23, 2008. The tenure of the commission would end in March 2014.
After the death of Justice Mohapatra last year, Justice Naidu was appointed as the chairman of the commission.
Till now, the commission had received 793 affidavits of which 194 comprising 72 official and 122 non-officials affidavits had been examined. Seventy nine more people would be examined but 58 of them were continuously remaining absent at the time of hearing, Justice Naidu pointed out.
Two persons identified as Prahallad Pradhan and Krushna Paraseth of Tumudibandh were to be examined today but only Pradhan attended the hearing while Paraseth did not turn up. Eight persons were given notices to depose before the commission in four days from today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video