Kandhamal: Five sentenced to 6 yr RI in 2007 riots
Phulbani (Odisha): A local court in Odisha`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced five persons to six years rigorous imprisonment and imposed a penalty of Rs 5,000 each after convicting them in a riot case in the district.
Additional sessions judge S K Das of fast track court-I convicted the five persons under different sections of the IPC on charges of house burning, rioting and unlawful assembly with deadly weapons.
Failure to pay the fine would entail additional imprisonment of three months.
The convicts were involved in the riots at Balisga village under Baliguda police station limits in Kandhamal district on December, 26 2007.
The riots broke out in Baliguda area after an attack on VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati on December 25, 2007.
Saraswati was later killed by unidentified miscreants at his Jalespeta ashram in Kandhamal on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof