Kandhamal: Five sentenced to 6 yr RI in 2007 riots
Phulbani (Odisha): A local court in Odisha`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced five persons to six years rigorous imprisonment and imposed a penalty of Rs 5,000 each after convicting them in a riot case in the district.
Additional sessions judge S K Das of fast track court-I convicted the five persons under different sections of the IPC on charges of house burning, rioting and unlawful assembly with deadly weapons.
Failure to pay the fine would entail additional imprisonment of three months.
The convicts were involved in the riots at Balisga village under Baliguda police station limits in Kandhamal district on December, 26 2007.
The riots broke out in Baliguda area after an attack on VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati on December 25, 2007.
Saraswati was later killed by unidentified miscreants at his Jalespeta ashram in Kandhamal on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Bulandshahr gang-rape accused plead not guilty, demand narco test to prove innocence
- Was Osho murdered by his followers?
- China hopes for early talks with Phillipines on South China Sea
- US military aids Turkey with air cover, intelligence in anti-ISIS operation in Syria
- Record German budget surplus fuels investment debate