Kandhamal: Five sentenced to 6 yr RI in 2007 riots
Phulbani (Odisha): A local court in Odisha`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced five persons to six years rigorous imprisonment and imposed a penalty of Rs 5,000 each after convicting them in a riot case in the district.
Additional sessions judge S K Das of fast track court-I convicted the five persons under different sections of the IPC on charges of house burning, rioting and unlawful assembly with deadly weapons.
Failure to pay the fine would entail additional imprisonment of three months.
The convicts were involved in the riots at Balisga village under Baliguda police station limits in Kandhamal district on December, 26 2007.
The riots broke out in Baliguda area after an attack on VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati on December 25, 2007.
Saraswati was later killed by unidentified miscreants at his Jalespeta ashram in Kandhamal on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh