Kandhamal nun rape: One more accused gets bail
Cuttack: While the trial in the Kandhamal nun rape case at the district and sessions court here has been stayed by the Supreme Court for over a year, the Orissa High Court has granted bail to yet another accused in the case.
With this, the number of accused getting bail in the case has gone up to 23.
Allowing the bail application of Seetaram Patra, who has been in jail since May 2009, Justice SC Parija yesterday asked the accused to appear before the court of additional district judge at Phulbani.
"The lower court shall release the applicant on bail after imposing conditions it deems fit and proper," the High Court said.
The state crime branch probing into the case of August 2008, had arrested 26 accused till date from the 30 named in the FIR.
Barring three accused, the remaining have secured bail.
The nun was allegedly assaulted and raped on August 25, 2008 in Kandhamal district during the riots which erupted in the aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!