Kandhamal nun says she had no animosity with locals
Cuttack: The Catholic Church nun who was raped during the Kandhamal riots 2 years ago told the trial court here on Mnday that she had no animosity with locals as she
had little contacts with them.
She also admitted that her duty as a Church worker was
limited to far-off rural areas and therefore she had no
acquaintances with people at K Nuagaon, where the incident
reportedly took place on August 25, 2008, barely 2 days
after the killing of VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati.
Facing cross examination by defense counsels, the nun
maintained that she was wearing a saree and escaped the closed
compound of the Church having six feet high boundary wall
after she was allegedly assaulted and raped under a staircase
of Baliguda-based Jana Vikash Kendra during the communal
The cross-examination of the victim by the defense
counsel remained inconclusive and it is likely to continue
again tomorrow, sources said.
The nun also revealed that she left K Nuagaon and went
to Bhubaneswar immediately after the incident.
From Bhubaneswar, the nun travelled to Visakhapatnam,
Kerala, and Chennai by train from where she went to New Delhi
by air and addressed a press conference to highlight her
She also told the court that she was getting a monthly
remuneration of Rs 150 from the Church and had no other
sources of income.
During the cross examination, the nun also disclosed
that one of her younger sisters in the meantime has been given
appointment by the Missionary Hospital in Sambalpur where she
had joined in mid-2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack