Kandhamal riot: 13 sentenced to 5-yr imprisonment
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast track court
here sentenced 13 people to five years` imprisonment on Wednesday for
their involvement in 2008 Kandhamal riots.
Additional Sessions Judge of Fast Track Court-II,
Biranchi Narayan Mishra, while convicting the 13, also imposed
a penalty of Rs 2,000 on each.
According to the prosecution, the convicts were
involved in rioting, arson and torching of houses in Sartaguda
village under Tikabali police station in September, 2008 after
the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati.
In another judgement, the court acquitted 12 people
had been arrested by Phiringia police on charges of unlawful
assembly with deadly weapons in Sripalla village on December
The area witnessed violence in December 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city