Kandhamal riots: 10 get 5 years` RI
Phulbani: A fast track court here
on Tuesday sentenced 10 people to rigorous imprisonment for five
years for involvement in violent incidents during communal
riots in Kandhamal district in 2008.
Additional sessions judge Sovan Kumar Das, while
convicting them, also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 each.
According to prosecution, the convicts were involved in
torching of houses and rioting in village Dalagaon under
Tikabali police station in September, 2008 during the communal
violence in the sensitive tribal-dominated district.
Kandhamal had witnessed large scale violence in the
aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati
in August, 2008.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive