Kandhamal riots: 10 get 5 years` RI
Phulbani: A fast track court here
on Tuesday sentenced 10 people to rigorous imprisonment for five
years for involvement in violent incidents during communal
riots in Kandhamal district in 2008.
Additional sessions judge Sovan Kumar Das, while
convicting them, also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 each.
According to prosecution, the convicts were involved in
torching of houses and rioting in village Dalagaon under
Tikabali police station in September, 2008 during the communal
violence in the sensitive tribal-dominated district.
Kandhamal had witnessed large scale violence in the
aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati
in August, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'