Kandhamal riots: 10 get 5 years` RI
Phulbani: A fast track court here
on Tuesday sentenced 10 people to rigorous imprisonment for five
years for involvement in violent incidents during communal
riots in Kandhamal district in 2008.
Additional sessions judge Sovan Kumar Das, while
convicting them, also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 each.
According to prosecution, the convicts were involved in
torching of houses and rioting in village Dalagaon under
Tikabali police station in September, 2008 during the communal
violence in the sensitive tribal-dominated district.
Kandhamal had witnessed large scale violence in the
aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati
in August, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!