Kandhamal riots: 10 get 5 years` RI
Phulbani: A fast track court here
on Tuesday sentenced 10 people to rigorous imprisonment for five
years for involvement in violent incidents during communal
riots in Kandhamal district in 2008.
Additional sessions judge Sovan Kumar Das, while
convicting them, also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 each.
According to prosecution, the convicts were involved in
torching of houses and rioting in village Dalagaon under
Tikabali police station in September, 2008 during the communal
violence in the sensitive tribal-dominated district.
Kandhamal had witnessed large scale violence in the
aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati
in August, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal