Kandhamal riots: 12 convicted, 46 acquitted
Phulbani: At least 12 persons were convicted and 46 others acquitted in riot related cases
by separate fast track courts here in Kandhamal on Saturday.
Judges of the fast track court-I and II pronounced judgments while disposing six different cases relating to house burning and a murder incident during the ethno-communal riot in Kandhamal in 2008.
At least 38 persons were killed and over 4,800 houses and churches were damaged during the riot that took place in the aftermath of the killing of VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
While disposing a case of house burning at Gresingia village under G Udaygiri police station area, the fast track court judge SK Das sentenced two persons to two years
imprionment and a penalty of Rs 2,000 each after convicting them.
Twenty one others were acquitted in the case. Similarly, seven other persons were sentenced five years rigorous imprisonment and penalty of Rs 5,000 each after they were found guilty of setting fire on houses at Sidri village under Baliguda police station area during the riot.
Three persons were also sentensed three years RI and penalty of Rs 1,000 each for setting fire on houses of minority community at village Kiramaha under G Udaygiri police station area. However, in another case of house burning
incident at Rudangia, 15 persons were acquitted.
The fast track court-II judge CR Das, while disposing a murder case and a house burning case, acquitted 10 persons of the charges due to lack of proper evidence against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened