Kandhamal riots: 52 acquitted in eight cases
Bhubaneswar: Fifty two people have been acquitted in eight separate cases of rioting in Orissa`s Kandhamal district in 2008, an official said Sunday.
"Fifty two people were acquitted in eight separate cases late Saturday. Two cases were heard in fast track court-I and six cases were heard in fast track court-II. They were acquitted for want of evidence," said public prosecutor PK Patra.
Out of the eight, seven cases were of arson and one of torching a police outpost in Balandapada on Aug 26, 2008.
Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram Aug 23, 2008.
More than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by rampaging mobs that held Christians responsible for Saraswati`s killing, although police blamed the Maoists.
The government has set up two fast track courts to try cases related to the communal violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH