Kandhamal riots: EU diplomats cancel court visit
Phulbani (Orissa): An European Union
delegation on Friday cancelled its proposed visit to the Fast
Track courts where Kandhamal riot related cases are being
tried after local lawyers felt it would interfere in the
"We have cancelled the visit to courts", one of the
members of the 11-member delegation comprising members from
nine countries told reporters outside the Roman Catholic
The team`s visit to the court was not allowed as it
"appeared" to be an intereference in the working of the
judiciary in Kandhamal, an official said, adding security was
another issue due to which the district administration
suggested the visiting diplomats cancel their programme.
The local Lawyer`s association had strongly opposed
the EU delegation`s programme of holding discussion with
judicial officials as it could amount to interference in the
"How can any one inquire into the court`s activities,"
asked R N Mishra, a local lawyer who was backed by the entire
advocate fraternity here.
While the foreign diplomats were allowed to mingle
with the riot-affected people and have free interaction with
them at different places in Kandhamal yesterday, it was
considered "inappropriate" on part of them to inquire into the
judicial activities here, the official said.
The team members, who earlier in the morning held
discussion with the Kandhamal district magistrate-cum-
collector Krishna Kumar and other senior officials, had
planned to hold discussion with the judicial officers of two
Fast Track courts here where riot related cases were being
The delegation held discussion with church leaders at
Roman Catholic Church here before leaving the district.
Both the courts have so far found guilty above 60
people in the riot cases.
More than 700 riot related cases were registered at
different police stations in Kandhamal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?