Kandhamal tribal outfit warn of fresh stir
Berhampur: A tribal outfit in Kandhamal district has warned it would resort to agitation afresh if the Odisha government did not fulfill its demands made three years ago.
The outfit, Kui Samaj Samanwaya Samiti, has demanded action against persons who availed benefits meant for tribals with fake certificates, restoration of tribal land from non-tribals and withdrawal of cases registered against tribals
during the 2008 Kandhamal riots.
"Even though we repeatedly sought fulfillment of our demands, the government is dillydallying on the issue. We can`t tolerate it any more. We will be forced to restart our agitation," Samiti general secretary Lambodar Kanhar told a rally at Phulbani yesterday.
In 2007, the Samiti had launched an agitation, but had withdrawn it after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced a special package for the development of Kandhamal.
The threat of agitation has come ahead of Christmas.
Communal violence in 2008 had erupted in the aftermath of killing of senior VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati and had claimed 40 lives.
Kanhar, however, said that the tribals were neither against Christians nor attacked churches.
"But hundreds of tribals were booked in false cases during the riots," he said and demanded immediate withdrawal of the cases against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened