Kandhamal tribal outfit warn of fresh stir
Berhampur: A tribal outfit in Kandhamal district has warned it would resort to agitation afresh if the Odisha government did not fulfill its demands made three years ago.
The outfit, Kui Samaj Samanwaya Samiti, has demanded action against persons who availed benefits meant for tribals with fake certificates, restoration of tribal land from non-tribals and withdrawal of cases registered against tribals
during the 2008 Kandhamal riots.
"Even though we repeatedly sought fulfillment of our demands, the government is dillydallying on the issue. We can`t tolerate it any more. We will be forced to restart our agitation," Samiti general secretary Lambodar Kanhar told a rally at Phulbani yesterday.
In 2007, the Samiti had launched an agitation, but had withdrawn it after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced a special package for the development of Kandhamal.
The threat of agitation has come ahead of Christmas.
Communal violence in 2008 had erupted in the aftermath of killing of senior VHP leader Laxmananda Saraswati and had claimed 40 lives.
Kanhar, however, said that the tribals were neither against Christians nor attacked churches.
"But hundreds of tribals were booked in false cases during the riots," he said and demanded immediate withdrawal of the cases against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you