Kapil Sibal`s reply vindicates our stand: Orissa HC lawyers
Cuttack: Elated over the response of Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on his recommendation for setting up permanent benches of Orissa High Court in southern and western areas, the High Court Bar Association on Thursday claimed that their stand on the issue has been vindicated.
Sibal in a letter to Patnaik had said his recommendation was "incomplete" and the recommendation for setting up any bench of the High Court has to be endorsed by the state Chief Justice.
Patnaik on September 28 had urged Sibal to take measures for setting up benches of the High Court without mentioning any specific place.
The Chief Minister had also unilaterally made the recommendation without discussing it with the Chief Justice, High Court lawyers claimed.
The members of the High Court Bar Association in an emergent general body meeting said that they have been boycotting the court for nearly a month now saying that the views of the Chief Justice on the matter were sacrosanct.
"It (Patnaik`s recommendation) is unconstitutional and against a ruling of the Supreme Court as it was not made in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court," said association secretary Janmejaya Katakia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!