`Kashmir of Orissa` witnesses heatwave
Berhampur: Kandhamal, known as
Kashmir of Orissa for its cool climate, has now become one
of the hot spots in the state with the temperature rising
above 40 degree Celsius.
With 60 percent area of the district covered with
forest, average annual rainfall recorded at 1587 mm and the
altitude ranging between 300 and 1100 metres contributed
towards its coolness.
The minimum and maximum temperature in the district
was recorded at 1 degree Celsius in December and 35 degree
Celsius in May, sources said.
Most parts of Kandhamal are now reeling under 40
degree Celsius temperatuer since the beginning of June.
Environmentalists and weathermen attributed the rising
temperature to the effect of global climate change. Not only
in Kandhamal the temperature has been increasing in many
places including Simla," a senior forest officer here said.
Simla, well-known of its coolness with maximum
temperature of 15 degree Celsius, is now recording 20 to 25
degree Celsius, he said.
There are several factors including the increase of
population, automobile emission and shrinking of forest cover
are some of the reasons for the increase of temperature, the
forest officer said.
"Effect of global warming and climate change could
have led to rise in temperature in many areas of the state
including Kandhamal," PC Mohanty, an expert in Marine
"We have analysed the temperature data of the last six
years in different parts of the state and observed that the
minimum temperature in most places except Puri increased from
the 1990s," Mohanty, the coordinator of a programme on
Participation of Youth in Real time field observation to
benefit education (PROBE), sponsored by Centre`s Department of
Science and Technology, said.
Under the programme, he said the observatory machines
to record the temperature on daily basis have been installed
in 15 different parts of the Ganjam, Gajapati, Kandhamal and
Boundh districts since last one year.
The school children of the respective areas are
sending their data regularly, he said.
The observatory data have also shown increase of the
minimum temperature in Kandhamal district, Mohanty said.
While he said deep study was needed to find out the exact
cause of it, an environmentalist said deforestation was the
main cause of increase of the temperature in the district.
Deforestation was caused due to various factors
including the felling of trees by the agitators to use the
logs for road blockade, smuggling of timbers and cleaning the
forest by the tribals to get the forest rights.
The forest area of the district is recorded at 5709.08
sq. km out of the total geographical area 8021 sq km, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced