Keonjhar: security officials` families threatened
Rebana Palaspal: Maoist cadres operating in Orissa threatened family members of security officials to prevent them from taking action against the ultras.
Family members of Kailash Mahanto, a police officer killed by Maoists almost a year ago, and villagers living in Rebana Palaspal near Keonjhar District complained of being threatened by the ultras.
Dropadi Mahanto, mother of Kailash Mahanto, said that her son was serving as a police officer and the Maoist cadres used to threaten him by saying they would kill his family members if he did not quit his job. So, he quit his job and started a business in the village but still the ultras killed him.
"They took my son from the house when I was not in there. As they left the houses, they locked the door from outside. The other locals came out and called me and my husband. We were sleeping at one of our relative`s place. We looked for our son, but as it was too dark in the night so we could not find him. Nobody in the village helped us due to the fear of Maoists. We could not save my son and they killed him," she added.
Dropadi also said that the fear of Maoists has restricted locals from stepping out of their house and people have sent their children to their relatives place to keep them safe.
"We all are still living in trauma and are scared. My grand children cannot sleep at night in the house due to fear of the Maoists. My daughter in law and her children sleep at relatives place due to fear of the ultras. Only me and my husband are staying here," she added.
His uncle Ganeswar Mahanto said the locals are living under the fear of Maoists and they cannot go out of their houses at night.
"The situation here has worsened. We always live under fear. Earlier, the Maoists killed two locals, so we cannot go out from the house at night. We do not feel secure here. The police do patrol at times, but it is not possible for the police to patrol regularly," he added.
Kailash Mahanto, was a Special Police Officer (SPO) posted in Brahmanipal area in 2008. He was killed by Maoists on July 1, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly