Keonjhar: security officials` families threatened
Rebana Palaspal: Maoist cadres operating in Orissa threatened family members of security officials to prevent them from taking action against the ultras.
Family members of Kailash Mahanto, a police officer killed by Maoists almost a year ago, and villagers living in Rebana Palaspal near Keonjhar District complained of being threatened by the ultras.
Dropadi Mahanto, mother of Kailash Mahanto, said that her son was serving as a police officer and the Maoist cadres used to threaten him by saying they would kill his family members if he did not quit his job. So, he quit his job and started a business in the village but still the ultras killed him.
"They took my son from the house when I was not in there. As they left the houses, they locked the door from outside. The other locals came out and called me and my husband. We were sleeping at one of our relative`s place. We looked for our son, but as it was too dark in the night so we could not find him. Nobody in the village helped us due to the fear of Maoists. We could not save my son and they killed him," she added.
Dropadi also said that the fear of Maoists has restricted locals from stepping out of their house and people have sent their children to their relatives place to keep them safe.
"We all are still living in trauma and are scared. My grand children cannot sleep at night in the house due to fear of the Maoists. My daughter in law and her children sleep at relatives place due to fear of the ultras. Only me and my husband are staying here," she added.
His uncle Ganeswar Mahanto said the locals are living under the fear of Maoists and they cannot go out of their houses at night.
"The situation here has worsened. We always live under fear. Earlier, the Maoists killed two locals, so we cannot go out from the house at night. We do not feel secure here. The police do patrol at times, but it is not possible for the police to patrol regularly," he added.
Kailash Mahanto, was a Special Police Officer (SPO) posted in Brahmanipal area in 2008. He was killed by Maoists on July 1, 2010.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement