Keonjhar: security officials` families threatened
Rebana Palaspal: Maoist cadres operating in Orissa threatened family members of security officials to prevent them from taking action against the ultras.
Family members of Kailash Mahanto, a police officer killed by Maoists almost a year ago, and villagers living in Rebana Palaspal near Keonjhar District complained of being threatened by the ultras.
Dropadi Mahanto, mother of Kailash Mahanto, said that her son was serving as a police officer and the Maoist cadres used to threaten him by saying they would kill his family members if he did not quit his job. So, he quit his job and started a business in the village but still the ultras killed him.
"They took my son from the house when I was not in there. As they left the houses, they locked the door from outside. The other locals came out and called me and my husband. We were sleeping at one of our relative`s place. We looked for our son, but as it was too dark in the night so we could not find him. Nobody in the village helped us due to the fear of Maoists. We could not save my son and they killed him," she added.
Dropadi also said that the fear of Maoists has restricted locals from stepping out of their house and people have sent their children to their relatives place to keep them safe.
"We all are still living in trauma and are scared. My grand children cannot sleep at night in the house due to fear of the Maoists. My daughter in law and her children sleep at relatives place due to fear of the ultras. Only me and my husband are staying here," she added.
His uncle Ganeswar Mahanto said the locals are living under the fear of Maoists and they cannot go out of their houses at night.
"The situation here has worsened. We always live under fear. Earlier, the Maoists killed two locals, so we cannot go out from the house at night. We do not feel secure here. The police do patrol at times, but it is not possible for the police to patrol regularly," he added.
Kailash Mahanto, was a Special Police Officer (SPO) posted in Brahmanipal area in 2008. He was killed by Maoists on July 1, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'