Koraput women oppose anti-maoist operation
Koraput (Orissa): Tribal women on Thursday took
out a rally at Maoist-hit Narayanpatna in Orissa`s Koraput
district in protest against proposed special joint anti-Maoist
operations in the area.
"Tribals residing in the forests will suffer from the
anti-Maoist operations. They will be branded as Maoist
supporters and targeted by security forces," the protestors,
under the banner of the Biplabi Adivasi Mahila Sangha (BAMS)
The tribals also put up posters at several places in
the district urging the state administration to refrain from
such an operation.
The protestors handed over a memorandum to officials
at the Narayanpatna block office.
The rally was peaceful, police sources said.
This was the second anti-operation rally in the state.
Earlier, tribals in neighbouring Malkangiri district
had also opposed the government`s plan to launch anti-Maoist
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown