Lakhs remain in dark for 12 days as Phailin uprooted towers
Bhubaneswar: With lakhs of people still spending their nights in darkness due disruption of power supply due to cyclone Phailin, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today asked the energy department to complete the task by November 5.
"The Chief Minister has directed to ensure power supply in all cyclone affected areas including Ganjam by November 5," Energy Minister A K Sahu said after attending a meeting presided over by Patnaik.
Stating that the restoration work has been delayed due to intermittent rains following a well marked low pressure in the Bay of Bengal and the demand by the farmers to restore lines and poles fallen on the cultivated land, Sahu said despite this, efforts are on to provide alternative arrangements to install poles and draw lines.
The minister said that in Ganjam as many as 4 lakh electric poles have been damaged and the loss to electricity network has been more than 70 per cent of the total damage.
As per the estimate, the Energy Department has suffered maximum loss due to the cyclone and flood and around Rs 1,048.14 crore assistance has been sought from the Centre to restore power supply in the affected areas.
Meanwhile, official sources said that of the total 38.76 lakh electricity consumers, the government had been able to supply power to about 33 lakh households. Of about 7.32 electricity consumer in southern districts, power supply has been given to 2.67 lakh households.
All the consumers in northern and western region of the state are being provided with electricity, the official claimed adding that the places which still remained inundated with flood or rain water could not get electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly