Lakhs remain in dark for 12 days as Phailin uprooted towers
Bhubaneswar: With lakhs of people still spending their nights in darkness due disruption of power supply due to cyclone Phailin, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today asked the energy department to complete the task by November 5.
"The Chief Minister has directed to ensure power supply in all cyclone affected areas including Ganjam by November 5," Energy Minister A K Sahu said after attending a meeting presided over by Patnaik.
Stating that the restoration work has been delayed due to intermittent rains following a well marked low pressure in the Bay of Bengal and the demand by the farmers to restore lines and poles fallen on the cultivated land, Sahu said despite this, efforts are on to provide alternative arrangements to install poles and draw lines.
The minister said that in Ganjam as many as 4 lakh electric poles have been damaged and the loss to electricity network has been more than 70 per cent of the total damage.
As per the estimate, the Energy Department has suffered maximum loss due to the cyclone and flood and around Rs 1,048.14 crore assistance has been sought from the Centre to restore power supply in the affected areas.
Meanwhile, official sources said that of the total 38.76 lakh electricity consumers, the government had been able to supply power to about 33 lakh households. Of about 7.32 electricity consumer in southern districts, power supply has been given to 2.67 lakh households.
All the consumers in northern and western region of the state are being provided with electricity, the official claimed adding that the places which still remained inundated with flood or rain water could not get electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?