Lakhs witness deities` bathing ritual in Puri
Bhubaneswar: Over 200,000 devotees from various parts of the country converged in Orissa`s temple town of Puri Wednesday and witnessed the bathing ritual of three deities that precedes the famous chariot festival or Rath Yatra, an official said.
The deities -- Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra -- were taken out of the sanctum sanctorum of the 12th century Jagannath temple in a ceremonial procession to the snana mandap - a bathing platform inside the temple complex.
As part of the ritual, the deities were bathed with 108 pitchers of aromatic water drawn out from a temple well known as the golden well.
"The bathing ritual started at 8.05 a.m. and ended within 20 minutes," Laxmidhar Pujapanda, the temple`s public relations officer, told reporters.
"More then two lakh devotees witnessed the event, despite rains lashing the city, he said.
The Rath Yatra is the grand culmination of a series of celebrations involving the deities. This year, the festival will be held July 3-11.
The festival marks the annual journey of the three deities from the Jagannath temple, 56 km from here, in three separate decorated wooden chariots to another temple about two km away.
The deities return to their abode in the same splendidly decorated chariots which thousands of devotees pull with the help of ropes. The festival is known as Bahuda Yatra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today