Lakhs witness Lord Jagannath`s bathing ritual
Puri: Braving heavy downpour, lakhs of
devotees on Wednesday witnessed Lord Jagannath`s ceremonial bathing
ritual known as `Devasnan` held on the full moon day of the
Oriya month of Jestha in the run up to the annual `Rath Yatra`
on July 3.
Lord Jagannath, His elder brother Lord Balabhadra and
sister Devi Subhadra, were taken out of the sanctum santcorum
to `Snan Mandap` (bathing pandal) in a spectacular procession.
Priests poured 108 pitchers of aromatic water on the deities.
A special set of rituals were performed as the
Devasnana Purnima this time coincided with the lunar eclipse.
Gajapati King of Puri Dibya Singha Dev performed
`Chherapahanra` (sweeping with a golden broom) around the
deities on the bathing altar.
After the bathing rituals, the deities were dressed in
`elephant attire` popularly called Gajanana Vesha.
The day is also observed as the birthday of Lord
Jagannath as King Indradyumna had established the temple on
this day. The deities would be taken back to the temple in the
night, said Laxmidhar Pujapanda, an official of Sri Jagannath
Above 40 platoons (1200 personnel) of Orissa police
along with Rapid Action Force, bomb squad and other security
personnel were deployed on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe