Lawyers enforce 12-hour shutdown in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A 12-hour shutdown called by lawyers Tuesday demanding action against a woman district collector for allegedly misbehaving with some of their colleagues hit normal life in parts of western Odisha, police said.
The lawyers were protesting the alleged misbehaviour of Sambalpur District Collector Mrinalini Darswal with some lawyers April 23 over a dispute related to hike in land registration fee. The lawyers have been demanding action against her.
While, the lawyers Tuesday boycotted courts and staged demonstrations, shops downed their shutters in most of the 10 western districts of the state, a police official told IANS.
The functioning of the Odisha High Court at Cuttack, 26 km from here, also came to a standstill as lawyers boycotted court work supporting their colleagues.
Government and private offices also remained closed in several rural and urban areas in Sambalpur, Bargarh, Rourkela, Bolangir and Deogarh towns, among others.
The lawyers allegedly ransacked Darswal`s residential office and abused her on April 23. The police arrested 18 of their colleagues in this incident.
The state government subsequently ordered a crime branch probe but the lawyers demanded a judicial probe into the incident. They also called for arrest and suspension of the collector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA