Left, PPSS demand scrapping of Posco plant
Bhubaneswar: Demanding scrapping of Posco`s proposed Rs 52,000 crore steel project in Odisha, Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) along with left parties on Saturday observed Black Day as a mark of protest.
While locals in Jagatsinghpur district held rallies and meetings at the proposed plant site near Paradip, left parties like CPI, CPI-M, CPI (ML) Liberation and CPI (ML) New Democracy staged demonstrations here and in other places.
Holding the state`s BJD government and the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre responsible for creating problems for locals by trying to impose the project, the left parties asked Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Prime Minster Manmohan Singh to refrain from advocating for the South Korean steel major.
Democratically elected governments should give priority to people and not to any multi-national company, CPI state secretary Dibakar Nayak said, adding that June 22, the day on which Odisha government and Posco-India signed the MoU for the project in 2005, should be observed as "the day of betrayal".
The protesters also dubbed land acquisition, tree felling for Posco project as illegal as there was no MoU in force for the purpose as the one signed in 2005 had lapsed in 2010.
Saturday was the 8th anniversary of the state`s MoU with Posco India.
Though the MoU had lapsed three years ago, the state government claimed a fresh document was likely to be signed soon.
"We are giving final touches to the draft MoU to be signed with Posco India as validity of the previous document is lapsed. The state administration will place the final document for approval of the Chief Minister within one month," Chief Secretary B K Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!