Left-wing extremism controlled in Odisha: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has claimed that Left-Wing Extremism has been controlled in 11 of the state`s 30 districts and said cash reward has been given to 514 identified Maoist leaders and cadre who have surrendered or arrested.
The state government has formulated a revised rehabilitation and surrender policy for Maoists.
"Rs 2.26 crore has already been disbursed under this policy," he said while replying to supplementary budget expenditure demands on home department in the Assembly last night.
Stating that there has been steady progress in reduction of LWE activities in the state, Patnaik said Maoist activities have been brought under control in Ganjam, Gajapati, Kandhamal, Keonjhar, Jajpur, Dhenkanal, Mayurbhanj, Sambalpur, Deogarh, Sundergarh and Nayagarh districts.
Activities of Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangha, a frontal organisation of Maoists are also under control, he said.
Significant success has also been achieved in containing the activities of Peoples Liberation Front of India (PLFI) and Pahadi Chita groups operating on the Odisha-Jharkhand border, the Chief Minister said.
Patnaik said the government was now trying to contain Maoists in parts of Malkangiri, Koraput, Bolangir, Nuapada, Rayagada, Bargah, Kalahandi, and Nawarangpur districts.
Giving details, he said till November 2013 end there were 57 Maoist-related incidents this year which claimed the lives of 15 civilians, 7 security personnel and 21 Maoists as compared to deaths of 25 civilians, 19 security personnel and 10 Maoists in 99 incidents during the year 2012.
He rejected opposition claim that Odisha has turned into a sanctuary of criminals due to the low conviction rate and said as per the latest NCRB report the rate of cognisable offences per lakh population in Odisha is 203.6 as against national average of 497.9 cases per lakh population.
"The figures speak for themselves as we are less than half of the national average", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800