Lightning kills six during unseasonal rain and gale in Odisha
Paradip/Kendrapara (Odisha): Six persons including four women were killed and five injured after being struck by lightning in separate incidents in Odisha today, police said.
Three persons including a couple were killed when taking shelter under a tree during rain at Paradip while as many women farm labourers died, working in the farm lands in nearby Kendrapara district, they said.
As unseasonal rain accompanied by gale speed reaching 70 to 80 km per hour lashed the port town of Paradip in the afternoon, the victims had taken shelter under the tree when lightning struck it.
One person identified as Chabi Jena died on the spot while a couple Ratnakar Rout and Swapna Rout were declared dead at the hospital at Atharbanki, deputy superintendent of police (DSP), Paradip, Bhabani Mishra said.
The victims in Kendrapara district were Laxmi Jana (39) of Dangamal, Purnima Samal (42) of Shyamsundarpur and Gita Pramanik (25) of Jambu villages under Rajnagar, Pattamundai and Mahakalapada police limits respectively.
The injured were being treated at the hospital and condition of three was stated to be serious.
Meanwhile, under the impact of strong wind many trees were uprooted, roofs of thatched houses blown away and electric and telephone wires snapped at several places in the port town, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway