Lion`s Club president held for Hirakud Dam boat capsize
Sambalpur: The President of the local Lions Club Ramesh Kumar Agarwal was Saturday arrested in connection with the boat capsize at Hirakud reservoir where 31 people died on February 9.
Agarwal, a reputed businessman, was arrested from his house in the town this morning, police said.
As President of the Club, he had organised the picnic in which 150 persons of 80 families participated. It was his responsibility to ensure safety of the picnickers, police said.
Two boatmen and owner of the vessel have been arrested earlier.
Of the 31 persons killed in the boat capsize, 18 were women.
The state government has already ordered an administrative probe by the Revenue Divisional Commissioner and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh each for the family members of the deceased.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'