Lion`s Club president held for Hirakud Dam boat capsize
Sambalpur: The President of the local Lions Club Ramesh Kumar Agarwal was Saturday arrested in connection with the boat capsize at Hirakud reservoir where 31 people died on February 9.
Agarwal, a reputed businessman, was arrested from his house in the town this morning, police said.
As President of the Club, he had organised the picnic in which 150 persons of 80 families participated. It was his responsibility to ensure safety of the picnickers, police said.
Two boatmen and owner of the vessel have been arrested earlier.
Of the 31 persons killed in the boat capsize, 18 were women.
The state government has already ordered an administrative probe by the Revenue Divisional Commissioner and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh each for the family members of the deceased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda