Lion`s Club president held for Hirakud Dam boat capsize
Sambalpur: The President of the local Lions Club Ramesh Kumar Agarwal was Saturday arrested in connection with the boat capsize at Hirakud reservoir where 31 people died on February 9.
Agarwal, a reputed businessman, was arrested from his house in the town this morning, police said.
As President of the Club, he had organised the picnic in which 150 persons of 80 families participated. It was his responsibility to ensure safety of the picnickers, police said.
Two boatmen and owner of the vessel have been arrested earlier.
Of the 31 persons killed in the boat capsize, 18 were women.
The state government has already ordered an administrative probe by the Revenue Divisional Commissioner and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh each for the family members of the deceased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof