Lion`s Club president held for Hirakud Dam boat capsize
Sambalpur: The President of the local Lions Club Ramesh Kumar Agarwal was Saturday arrested in connection with the boat capsize at Hirakud reservoir where 31 people died on February 9.
Agarwal, a reputed businessman, was arrested from his house in the town this morning, police said.
As President of the Club, he had organised the picnic in which 150 persons of 80 families participated. It was his responsibility to ensure safety of the picnickers, police said.
Two boatmen and owner of the vessel have been arrested earlier.
Of the 31 persons killed in the boat capsize, 18 were women.
The state government has already ordered an administrative probe by the Revenue Divisional Commissioner and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh each for the family members of the deceased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report