Lok Adalats in Odisha getting popular
Cuttack: `Lok Adalats` in Odisha are
becoming more popular as people are getting prompt justice with this alternative justice delivery system.
According to statistics available from Odisha State
Legal Services Authority (OSLSA) nearly 2.3 lakh cases were
disposed off at 3682 Lok Adalats held throughout the state in
the year 2011.
What was encouraging from the annual statistics released by OSLSA is that over one lakh criminal cases were disposed off in the year through the Lok Adalats.
Similarly, the statistics also reveal that another one
lakh cases pertaining to revenue matters were disposed off in
the same period, which in itself is a record in the history of
Lok Adalats which came into existence in 1997.
Sources said the most important aspect of Lok Adalats
in Odisha was that it offers the aggrieved claimant the
possibility of immediate compensation which otherwise would
have taken decades to be settled in regular courts.
A total number of 3086 motor accident claim tribunal
(MACT) cases were disposed off in 2011 in which a whopping
amount of over Rs 43 crore were awarded as compensations to
Interestingly, the Lok Adalats also awarded compensations to the tune of over Rs four crore to different
litigants in the criminal cases as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!