Malkangiri: Death of fowls sparks off bird flu fears
Malkangiri (Odisha): Death of a large number
of birds at several places in the tribal dominated Malkangiri
district of Odisha has triggered bird flu scare with ignorant
villagers throwing the carcass in the open.
Hundreds of dead birds including different fowls, crows,
storks, pigeons and mynahs were seen in many villages under
Malkangiri and Korkunda blocks during last one week.
"We just received a report about death of birds. A
team of veterinarians rushed to the area to initiate remedial
measures", chief district veterinary officer (CDVO) Rabi
Narayan Behera said.
Meanwhile, due to lack of awareness as to how to deal
with such deaths, fear stricken people threw the carcass in
the open only to be devoured by stray dogs an other animals.
"No step has been taken by the district administration
to create awareness among the people on dealing with bird
carcass. Ignorant villagers throw them here and there causing
health hazards in the area", said village president of MV-20
Another village leader Paritosh Ray said the people
have been advised not to eat the fowls even as poultry
business in the area had come to a standstill.
A member of the state bird-flu team Rajesh Kumar Kuanr,
now on a tour of the district, said they were yet to get
proper information about such incident. "We will rush to
the spot once we get the information from the concerned
authorities", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest