Man arrested for killing mother over shoes in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A young man in Rourkela, Sundergarh district, Odisha, killed his mother, allegedly because she refused him money to buy a pair of shoes, police said on Monday.
The incident took place in a slum in the steel city of Rourkela, about 514 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, on Saturday night. The matter only came to light when the husband of the deceased lodged a complaint at the Udit Nagar police station the next day.
Additional District Superintendent of Police Sudarsan Sethi said 24-year-old Sanjay, an alcoholic, would often extract money from his 46-year-old mother Salmi Lakra to buy liquor.
On Saturday night, he told his mother that he needed a new pair of shoes, which would cost him at least Rs 200.
When his mother refused to give him the money, Sanjay struck her with a stone. The woman died on the spot, the police officer said.
Police arrested the accused and presented him in a local court. He was remanded to judicial custody after the judge rejected his bail plea, Sethi told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off