Man chained for 20 yrs in Odisha, report sought
New Delhi: Concerned over the report of a mentally challenged man chained for 20 years in Odisha, the National Human Rights Commission today asked the state government to file a status report within four weeks.
Terming it "violation of human rights of the mentally ill person", the Commission asked the State Chief Secretary and the District Magistrate of Jagatsinghpur to submit a report within four weeks.
"The Commission has observed that the content of press report, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of the mentally ill person," a NHRC statement said.
Commission`s special rapporteur Damodar Sarangi forwarded the media report about 27-year-old Sanjaya Gudiya of village Kiyada of Jagatsinghpur district allegedly chained by his parents for last 20 years.
According to the report, Gudiya is mentally ill and his parents were unable to provide medical treatment to their son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state