Man convicted within 29 days of rape,murder of 7-year-old girl
Sambalpur: A court in Odisha has convicted a driver for rape and murder of a seven-year-old daughter of a wage-earner, within 29 days of occurrence of the crime.
District and Sessions Judge, Sambalpur, Bibhu Prasad Routray yesterday convicted Pradip Dalai of Balibhanga area under town police limits here for committing the crime on September 2.
The court reserved till tomorrow the order for pronouncing the quantum of punishment.
The prosecution said, the girl, a class II student of an upper primary school in Jhaduapura, was playing with her friends on the day when she was lured away by the man, who was known to her, on the promise of chowmein treat.
When the girl did not return home at night, her body was found after a search by her parents and relatives from a bush near Ring Road.
The girl, daughter of daily wage earner, was found to have been raped and strangulated.
Pradip was arrested and chargesheeted within seven days.
Altogether 12 persons including her mother, medical officer of VSS Medical College Hospital who had conducted the post-mortem, an officer of Town police station and a woman sub- inspector had deposed in the course of the trial.
Pradip was convicted under different sections of IPC for kidnapping, rape, murder and tampering with the evidences based on the circumstantial evidence, seizures and deposition by witnesses, Public Prosecutor (PP) Artatrana Mishra said.
Claiming that the court order had set a record of sorts in the Odisha judiciary, Mishra said, "It`s for the first time in the history of state`s judiciary that a judgement was delivered within only 29 days of the occurrence of a crime."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?